Earle-Sears has ‘scheduling conflict’ for debate; Spanberger declines CNN invitation

A debate between Virginia's gubernatorial candidates at Virginia State University has been canceled.
Published: Aug. 14, 2025 at 5:51 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 14, 2025 at 7:27 PM EDT

PETERSBURG, Va. (WWBT) - A debate between Virginia’s gubernatorial candidates planned for next month has been canceled.

“This afternoon, Republican nominee Winsome Earle-Sears, the current Lieutenant Governor, declined the invitation due to a scheduling conflict,” AARP said in a news release earlier this week. “Former U.S. Rep. Abigail Spanberger’s campaign accepted the debate invitation on behalf of the Democratic nominee in July.”

The debate - known as the “People’s Debate” was scheduled for Sept. 16 at Virginia State University.

Former U.S. Rep. Abigail Spanberger (left), and Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears.
Former U.S. Rep. Abigail Spanberger (left), and Lt. Gov. Winsome Earle-Sears.(Parker Michels-Boyce and Mechelle Hankerson for the Virginia Mercury)

“We are very disappointed to learn that the gubernatorial debate scheduled to take place at Virginia State University in September has been canceled,” said Dr. Gwen Williams-Dandridge, assistant vice president for communications, on VSU’s website.

AARP Virginia has traditionally sponsored the People’s Debate.

On Wednesday, Earle-Sears accepted an invitation to particpate in a debate this fall on CNN, however, Spanberger declined that invitation on Thursday.

“Winsome Earle-Sears is not afraid to answer tough questions and face Virginians head-on. This debate is an opportunity for voters to see the difference between a leader with a clear plan and a career politician who would rather talk around the issues,” Earle-Sears campaign spokeswoman Peyton Vogel said.

“We have declined an offer to participate in a debate hosted by CNN in order to prioritize Virginia broadcasters and ensure the focus remains squarely on issues impacting Virginia,” Samson Signori, Spanberger’s campaign manager, told CNN.