Calls for calm after 2 shot to death in Mosby Court


RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - Violence erupts in Richmond's Mosby Court, and several schools were put on lockdown after witnesses say there was a drive by shooting. Now two men are dead and police are looking for the shooter.
The Richmond Police mobile command unit was still in the 2100 block of Accommodation Street and officers continued to patrol the area where this shooting happened. Police say it happened just after 11:30 a.m., just a few hours after children left for school.
First responders worked to save the victims' lives after they were gunned down. They men later died at the hospital.
"We got great people that live in here," says Richmond Police Chief Alfred Durham. "They're fed up. They're human beings and they want to live in a peaceful environment."
Chief Durham says several witnesses came forward. It's still very early in the investigation.
"We have witnesses who say there was a dark sedan who came through the block and started firing shots," he said. "We do know that we found several different shell casings on the scene that would lead one to believe there were two firearms involved."
Chief Durham says several different shell casings have been collected as evidence... which would indicate two different guns are involved.
There were at least two fights right after the shooting, which were quickly broken up by officers. City faith leaders worked to calm the people in the crowd and urged them not to retaliate.
"The initial message is: retaliation won't help," says Pastor Mike Jones with the Village of Faith church. "Nothing is going to bring back the lives of the deceased."
The police chief says this is the ninth homicide in public housing this year. Community leaders are fighting for change.
"I think the overarching message is: if black lives matter, African Americans, we have to stop killing each other," says Pastor Jones. "Because it's not anyone from outside of the community. We've got to find a way to solve our issues without a mother losing a son."
This is the 27th homicide in the city, which ties with the number around this time last year. There will be a peace rally in Mosby Court on Friday at 6 p.m. at Spotsylvania and Accommodation streets.
If you know anything that could help police call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.
Schools on lockdown
It's the second day of school and a lockdown is not what parents thought would happen so early in the year, but they're just happy that steps were taken to make sure students were safe.
"I am kind of shocked"
That's one parent's reaction to knowing her 8th grader was on lockdown at MLK Middle School following Wednesday's deadly double shooting.
Martin Luther King Middle, Woodville Elementary, Fairfield Court, and Armstrong High School were all locked down during the early part of the investigation.
"It's kind of shocking, especially since it's the second day of school."
For some it's not so shocking.
"I wasn't surprised, 'cause of the area we live in, you know, people walk the streets 365 days of the year. It's always something going on, so it wasn't a surprise to me," said grandparent Raerusselle Green.
During the lockdown, nobody was allowed in or out of the school and movement inside the building was kept to a minimum. An RPS spokesperson tells NBC12 the lockdown happened during the lunch hour for many students.
"The best thing you can do is protect your own," said Green.
"I'm glad that they did put them on lockdown until they found a solution, or found out what was really going on, because I'm very concerned," said another parent who did not want to be identified.
The lockdown lasted for about an hour before the schools were given the all clear.
Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved







